Factorydale Dam and Spillway Stabilization
Berwick Electric Commission, Berwick, NS
Mitchelmore Engineering Company (Meco) was contracted by Berwick Electric Commission to complete an stability analysis of the concrete dam and overflow weir. The analysis was completed in accordance with the Canadian Dam Association (CDA) Dam Safety Guidelines, 1999.
The analysis included development of the hydrologic model, assesment of the storage and discharge capacity and routing of the Inflow Design Flood through the system. A HEC-RAS model was developed to model the discharge stream and to determine possible backwater and scour effects.
Following the analysis, stabilization options for the dam and spillway were presented and construction drawings, specifications and tender documents were developed for the preferred option.
Meco’s Services include:
- Hydrological assesment and determinateion of the Inflow Design Flood, storage capacity of the reservoir adn the discharge capacity of the structure.
- HEC-RAS model of the downstream reach, durring normal operating and flooding conditions.
- Stability assessment of nine sections of the dam and one of the spillway in accordance with the CDA Guidelines.
- Analysis of stabilization options, with cost estimates.
- Construction drawings.
- Tender documents and technical specifications.
- Documentation and Preparation of a Project Report.
109 Ilsley Avenue, Unit #14
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, B3B 1S8
Toll Free: 1.877.434.3131